11 November 2021
This webinar provided an overview of the best practices of the social protection responses to COVID-19 in the rural areas of the LAC region and aims at disseminating the lessons learned from their experiences, as well as engaging other stakeholders to discuss rural social protection in the region. Its main objectives were to provide reflections on the following questions:
- How did the social protection response to the COVID-19 crisis in the LAC region manage to deal with the vulnerabilities that are specific to the rural areas, protecting the rural population during the crisis?
- What were the lessons learned about the role of the social protection policies in promoting: food security and production protection; employment in the agri-food sector; and digitalization in rural areas?
- How can social protection help to build back better the rural territories after the COVID-19 crisis?
- Carolina Trivelli, Senior Strategic Analysis Advisor, FAO RLC
- Fabio Veras, Senior Research Coordinator, IPC-IG/IPEA
- Beatriz Burattini, Researcher, IPC-IG
- José Bernardo González Torres, Director Nacional de Desarrollo Rural, Ministerio de Desarrollo Agropecuario, MIDA Panamá
- José Carlos Araújo Mercês Júnior, General Coordinator of the Garantia-Safra, Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply of Brazil
- Adib Elias Bacha, Social Innovation Accelerator Coordinator, Supérate
- Alejandro Grinspun, Senior Economist in the Social Protection team, FAO HQ
Moderator: Mr. Andrés Franco, Deputy Director Multilateral Partnerships, Public Partnerships Division, UNICEF